Is your small business or startup still searching for its ideal email marketing platform?
Maybe you’ve tried AWeber and felt it wasn’t the right platform.
We’ve compiled four of the best AWeber alternatives for small businesses and startups on a tight budget:
Each of these AWeber competitors offers similar services, sometimes with superior features and lower price points. We’ll discuss the best features of each of these email marketing services as well as their prices so you can decide on the best platform for your small business.
An Overview of AWeber’s Features and Pricing
Founded in 1998, AWeber calls itself a “powerfully-simple email marketing” platform and is designed for small businesses.
Let’s first take a closer look at the features and pricing of AWeber. This will allow us to make a fair comparison between AWeber and EngageBay, ConvertKit, GetResponse, and Sendinblue.
These are the features included as part of AWeber’s email marketing services:
- Multiple mobile apps: Use AWeber Stats for analytics on the go, AWeber Curate for making and sending newsletters, and AWeber Atom for list-building.
- Contact management: Categorize and manage contact lists for targeted email sending.
- Sign-up form builder: Create both desktop and mobile-friendly sign-up forms to drive engagement.
- List targeting and segmentation: Send more tailored content with contact list segmentation features.
- Pre-built reports: Pre-built reports focus on actionable best practices.
- A/B Testing: Choose the most responsive version of your emails and other communications with split testing.
- Concierge migration: AWeber will take your existing contact lists and migrate them for free.
- Integrations: AWeber has a long list of integrations in areas like webinars, video, surveying, social media, lead generation, landing pages, eCommerce, CRM, and content management.
If you’re not sure if AWeber is the email marketing solution your small business or startup needs, you can download a free trial.
AWeber offers two pricing plans: the Free plan and the Pro plan. The Free plan is always free, but you’re capped at one list profile, 3,000 emails a month, and 500 subscribers. Here are the features of the Free plan:
- Live chat, email, and phone support around the clock
- Free migration to AWeber
- Account and team management with unlimited users
- Ecommerce Solution Migration
- Basic message and subscriber analytics
- Basic email sending to segmented lists
- Subscriber tagging
- WordPress plugins
- Sign-up forms
- Facebook Pixel tracking
- Google Analytics
- Video landing pages
- Access to the AWeber image library for building emails and landing pages
- Landing page and email templates
- Hosted broadcast archives
- AMP emails
- Dynamic content
- HTML emails
- RSS to email
- Newsletter sending
- Email automation
The Pro plan is priced on a sliding scale. If you’re billed monthly, here’s how the Pro plan pricing goes up as you add more contacts:
- 500 contacts – $24.99 a month
- Up to 2,500 contacts – $49.99 a month
- Up to 5,000 contacts – $54.99 a month
- Up to 10,000 contacts – $74.99 a month
- Up to 25,000 contacts – $154.99 a month
Paying for the Pro plan gives you access to all Free plan features above as well as:
- Web-push notifications, analytics, send messages, and subscriber collections
- Purchase tagging
- Cart abandonment messages
- Sales tracking
- Webpage tracking
- Advanced account and audience analytics
- Advanced messaging analytics
- Custom segment email sending
- A/B testing for sign-up forms and emails
- No AWeber branding on landing pages or emails
- Branded click-track email links
- Behavioral automation
You can also create unlimited list profiles, send unlimited emails, and add unlimited subscribers.
On the flip side, AWeber is not the ideal platform for many businesses. AWeber’s automation is quite basic, and it offers lesser features than some of the competitors.
In addition, AWeber’s templates look outdated, and its RSS to Email feature does not operate well with the drag-and-drop editor.
User Reviews of AWeber
Here are some user reviews of AWebeber that point out a few issues:
4 of the Best AWeber Alternatives
Now that you’re more familiar with the services AWeber offers as well as its pricing, let’s discuss AWeber alternatives: EngageBay, ConvertKit, GetResponse, and Sendinblue.
Created as an all-in-one solution for small businesses and startups looking for comprehensive sales and email marketing software, EngageBay is a great HubSpot and AWeber alternative.
EngageBay’s marketing services are neatly categorized into the Marketing Bay, one of the four products EngageBay offers. The other three products are the All-in-One Suite, the CRM & Sales Bay, and the Service Bay.
EngageBay’s Top Features
Here are some of the key features of EngageBay:
- Video Marketing Templates: Create customized video thumbnails sure to grab attention with EngageBay’s rich, innovative Video Marketing Templates. You can embed your custom Vimeo or YouTube thumbnail in your emails or hyperlink using the shortened, tidy video URL.
- Rich templates for emails, landing pages, and lead capture forms: Predesigned templates for emails, landing pages, and lead capture forms make it easier than ever to send responsive and appealing communications to your leads and customers.
- Marketing automation: EngageBay lets you automate your small business SMS and email marketing campaigns from start to finish. You can set up email sequences, schedule email sending times, and automate welcome messages and follow-up emails for more engagement.
- Site Messaging: The Site Messaging feature will keep you on top of your interactions with your audience in a convenient, easy-to-use way. You can select the imagery, layouts, icons, and colors for each audience segment so all your interactions are sorted and personalized.
- Free onboarding: AWeber isn’t the only email marketing service with free onboarding. EngageBay offers it for free when you sign up.
Here’s a quick video about EngageBay:
EngageBay offers four plans — Free, Basic, Growth, and Pro.
The Free plan is free forever, offering 1,000 branded emails and 500 contacts per month. Here are the features:
- Email sequences and broadcasting
- Newsletter sending
- Landing page builder
- Facebook Ads
- Video marketing
- Reporting dashboard
- Social suite
- Email template builder
- Web pop-ups
- Embedded forms
- Predictive lead scoring and segmentation
The Basic plan starts at $14.99 a month with 3,000 branded emails and 1,000 contacts.
If you need more features (including marketing automation, A/B testing, and timezone delivery), you need the Growth plan which costs $49.99 per month.
The most encompassing plan, the Pro plan, lets you send 50,000 branded emails and store unlimited contacts for $99.99 a month. Here are some of the exclusive features of the Pro plan:
- Role management
- Custom reporting
- Landing page custom domains
- Web analytics
- Email delivery based on time zones
- A/B testing for landing pages and email broadcasting
- Landing page custom coding
- Automation and workflow nodes
- Site messaging
- Marketing automation
ConvertKit’s Top Features
Another on our list of AWeber alternatives is ConvertKit, an email service provider that caters to an audience of “online creators” — making it the best AWeber alternative for YouTubers, bloggers, and influencers.
Here is an overview of some of ConvertKit’s most comparable features to AWeber:
- Email automation: Automate your emails with ConvertKit’s funnels, where you choose the rules and ConvertKit does the rest.
- Customized audience segmenting: The ConvertKit filtering system lets you separate your audience segments your a plethora of filters.
- Landing page and email designer with templates: Browse through ConvertKit’s templates for landing pages and emails and then customize those templates to reflect your brand image.
- Email sign-up forms: Take your sign-up forms further with lead magnet delivery, custom fields and designs, templates, and an unlimited number of forms.
ConvertKit prices its services into three plans: Free, Creator, and Creator Pro.
The Free plan is always $0, giving you access to these features:
- 1,000 subscribers
- Subscriber tagging
- Email broadcasting
- Customizable ConvertKit domain
- Unlimited traffic
- Unlimited forms and landing pages
The Creator plan includes the following features:
- More than 1,000 subscribers
- Premium support
- Automated email sequences and funnels
- Tagging for subscribers
- Advanced email broadcasting
Depending on how many contacts your small business or startup has, the Creator plan pricing differs. Here’s an overview:
- 1,000 contacts – $29 a month
- 3,000 contacts – $49 a month
- 5,000 contacts – $79 a month
- 10,000 contacts – $119 a month
- 15,000 contacts – $149 a month
- 20,000 contacts- $179 a month
- 35,000 contacts – $259 a month
- 45,000 contacts – $319 a month
- 55,000 contacts – $379 a month
The Creator plan pricing goes all the way up to 90,000 contacts, in which you’d pay $3,999 a month.
The third plan, the Creator Pro plan, includes everything offered by ConvertKit. Here are some of the standout features:
- Priority support
- Newsletter referrals
- Subscriber engagement scoring
- Email broadcast redirect links
- Team invitations
- Deliverability reporting
- Facebook custom audiences
Here’s the breakdown of the Creator Pro prices per the size of your contact list:
- 1,000 contacts – $59 a month
- 3,000 contacts – $79 a month
- 5,000 contacts- $111 a month
- 10,000 contacts – $167 a month
- 15,000 contacts – $209 a month
- 20,000 contacts – $251 a month
- 35,000 contacts – $363 a month
- 45,000 contacts – $447 a month
- 55,000 contacts – $519 a month
At 9,000 contacts, you’d pay $4,299 a month for ConvertKit’s Creator Pro plan.
Our third AWeber alternative to consider is GetResponse. This email marketing tool is intended for those who want to run an online-based email campaign.
GetResponse’s Top Features
Here are a handful of GetResponse’s email marketing services:
- A/B testing: Compare email subject lines with A/B testing to see which email might perform better among your audience segments.
- Email personalization: Through custom dynamic content, you can adjust your email language, CTA, and images using smart HTML features.
- Email builder: GetResponse offers many templates with more than 5,000 Shutterstock images, all licensed for your use.
- Automation: Automate more of your marketing workflow with features like automated blog digests, automated email sending, and autoresponders.
- Advanced analytics: Track the success of your email campaigns, including email bounces, clicks, and open rates. You can also view GetResponse’s analytics on mobile devices.
- Integrations: GetResponse integrates with lots of the same tools as AWeber. These include Facebook, PayPal, WordPress, Instagram, Stripe, WooCommerce, BigCommerce and Shopify.
GetResponse has four pricing plans: Free, Email Marketing, Marketing Automation, and E-Commerce marketing.
The Email Marketing plan includes these features:
- Facebook Ads
- Unlimited lead funnels
- One sales funnel
- Unlimited automation templates and landing pages
The Email Marketing Plan starts at $19/month for 1,000 contacts and goes all the way up to $539/month for 100,000 contacts.
The Marketing Automation plan starts at $59/month for 1,000 contacts and offers:
- Marketing automation
- Event-based automation
- Advanced segmentation
- Contact scoring
- Sales funnels
The E-Commerce Marketing plan starts at $119/month for 1,000 contacts and offers:
- 5,000 stock images for templates, 40 funnel templates, 700 web form templates, 180 landing page templates, and 220 email templates
- Social Ads Creator with Instagram Ads and Facebook Ads support
- Automation builder
- Contact scoring
- Custom workflows
- Abandoned order recovery
- Contact tagging
- Drip campaigns
- Automated birthday emails, thank-you emails, and welcome emails
- Surveys and web forms
- Email inbox previews and A/B testing
- Custom DKIM
- Perfect timing and time travel email features
- Visual email editor
- Autoresponders and newsletters
The fourth excellent alternative to AWeber is Sendinblue. This digital marketing suite includes services like CRM, Facebook Chat, SMS, and email.
Sendinblue’s Top Features
The following Sendinblue features are on-par with AWeber:
- Landing pages and sign-up forms: Customize the creation of both landing pages and sign-up forms so they feel more personalized to your audience segments.
- Marketing automation: Automate email sending, audience segmentation, and other parts of your workflow to save more time.
- Advanced analytics: An email heat map boosts engagement while real-time stats and KPIs like open and click-through rates paint a full picture of your email marketing campaign success.
- Integrations: Sendinblue uses plugins and API for its numerous integrations.
You can also select from one of four plans if you’re thinking about trying Sendinblue. These are the Free, Lite, Premium, and Enterprise plans.
The Free plan is $0 and includes these features:
- 300 emails a day
- Unlimited contacts
- Email support
- Real-time reporting
- Page tracking
- Workflow editor for marketing automation
- SMS marketing and transactional email automation
- Custom sign-up forms
- Advanced segmentation
- SMS and email personalization
- Email templates
- Email designer
The Lite plan starts at $25 a month to send 100,000 emails. The Premium plan, which Sendinblue recommends for marketing pros, costs $65 a month for 1 million emails.
If you’re interested in the Enterprise plan, it’s custom-priced. Here are the features you’d get with this plan:
- Advanced email analytics
- Heat map reporting
- Unlimited landing pages
- Send time optimization
- No Sendinblue logo
- A/B testing
AWeber is a comprehensive email marketing platform, but it’s far from the only one out there.
If you’re looking for an option that lets you add more contacts without a huge monthly fee, that’s EngageBay.
EngageBay offers many services that you’d find in AWeber, as well as those you don’t. These include EngageBay’s Video Marketing Templates, which let you engage with your audience through a very popular medium today – video.
Even the Pro plan with unlimited contacts and a suite of advanced features costs just under $100!
EngageBay is definitely the email marketing platform to choose if you want a solid AWeber alternative! Try the software — we’re sure you’ll agree.