Is your small business or startup still searching for its ideal email marketing platform?
You’ve looked into a lot of brands by now, and you’re leaning towards AWeber. It seems like you’ll get a host of useful features with AWeber, but will you really have everything you need?
And what about pricing? Is AWeber affordable enough for small businesses and startups on tight budgets?
Not necessarily. Before you make up your mind, in this post, we’d like to present several alternatives to AWeber that you should strongly consider. Each of these AWeber competitors offers similar services, sometimes with superior features and lower price points.
These AWeber alternatives include EngageBay, ConvertKit, GetResponse, and Sendinblue. We’ll discuss the best features of each of these email marketing services as well as their prices so you can decide on the best platform for your small business.
An Overview of AWeber’s Features and Pricing
Founded in 1998, AWeber calls itself a “powerfully-simple email marketing” platform. AWeber email marketing is catered towards small businesses.
Let’s first take a closer look at the features of AWeber, then AWeber cost. This will allow us to make a fair comparison between AWeber and EngageBay, ConvertKit, GetResponse, and Sendinblue.
These are the features included as part of AWeber’s email marketing services:
- Multiple mobile apps: Use AWeber Stats for analytics on the go, AWeber Curate for making and sending newsletters, or AWeber Atom for list-building.
- Contact management: Categorize and manage contact lists for targeted email sending.
- Sign-up form builder: Create both desktop and mobile-friendly sign-up forms to drive engagement.
- List targeting and segmentation: Send more tailored content with contact list segmentation features.
- Pre-built reports: Pre-built reports focus on actionable best practices.
- A/B Testing: Choose the most responsive version of your emails and other communications with split testing.
- Concierge migration: AWeber will take your existing contact lists and migrate them to their platform for free.
- Integrations: AWeber has a long list of integrations in areas like webinars, video, surveying, social media, lead generation, landing pages, eCommerce, CRM, and content management.
If you’re not sure if AWeber is the email marketing solution your small business or startup needs, you can download a free trial.
AWeber offers two pricing plans: the Free plan and the Pro plan. The Free plan is always free, but you’re capped at one list profile, 3,000 emails a month, and 500 subscribers. Here are the features of the Free plan:
- Live chat, email, and phone support around the clock
- Free migration to AWeber
- Account and team management with unlimited users
- Ecommerce Solution Migration
- Basic message and subscriber analytics
- Basic email sending to segmented lists
- Subscriber tagging
- WordPress plugins
- Sign-up forms
- Facebook Pixel tracking
- Google Analytics
- Video landing pages
- Access to the AWeber image library for building emails and landing pages
- Landing page and email templates
- Hosted broadcast archives
- AMP emails
- Dynamic content
- HTML emails
- RSS to email
- Newsletter sending
- Email automation
The Pro plan is priced on a sliding scale. If you’re billed monthly, here’s how the Pro plan pricing goes up as you add more contacts:
- 500 contacts – $19 a month
- Up to 2,500 contacts – $29 a month
- Up to 5,000 contacts – $49 a month
- Up to 10,000 contacts – $69 a month
- Up to 25,000 contacts – $149 a month
Paying for the Pro plan gives you access to all Free plan features above as well as:
- Web-push notifications, analytics, send messages, and subscriber collections
- Purchase tagging
- Cart abandonment messages
- Sales tracking
- Webpage tracking
- Advanced account and audience analytics
- Advanced messaging analytics
- Custom segment email sending
- A/B testing for sign-up forms and emails
- No AWeber branding on landing pages or emails
- Branded click-track email links
- Behavioral automation
You can also create unlimited list profiles, send unlimited emails, and add unlimited subscribers.
4 of the Best AWeber Alternatives
Created as a solution for small businesses and startups looking for comprehensive sales and marketing software, EngageBay is a great HubSpot and AWeber alternative. Their marketing services are neatly categorized into the Marketing Bay, one of the four products EngageBay offers. The other three products are the All-in-One Suite, the CRM & Sales Bay, and the Service Bay.
EngageBay’s Top Features
The integrated marketing platform that is EngageBay’s Marketing Bay can increase your small business or startup revenue by 3x. Here are some of the starring features within the Marketing Bay to achieve your small business goals:
- Video Marketing Templates: Create customized video thumbnails sure to grab attention with EngageBay’s rich, innovative Video Marketing Templates. You can embed your custom Vimeo or YouTube thumbnail in your emails or hyperlink the shortened, tidy video URL.
- Rich templates for emails, landing pages, and lead capture forms: Predesigned templates for emails, landing pages, and lead capture forms make it easier than ever to send responsive and appealing communications to your leads and customers.
- Marketing automation: Whether your small business has launched an SMS marketing campaign or an email marketing campaign, EngageBay lets you automate your campaign from start to finish. You can set up email sequences, schedule email sending times, and automate welcome messages and follow-up emails for more engagement.
- Site Messaging: The Site Messaging feature will keep you on top of your interactions with your audience in a convenient, easy-to-use way. You can select the imagery, layouts, icons, and colors per each audience segment so all your interactions are sorted and personalized.
- Free onboarding: AWeber isn’t the only email marketing service with free onboarding. EngageBay says its onboarding session is worth $1,199, but they offer it for free when you sign up for their service.
EngageBay’s Marketing Bay–like other EngageBay products, has four pricing plans. These are the Free, Basic, Growth, and Pro plan.
The Free plan is free forever, offering 1,000 branded emails and 1,000 contacts per month. You can tackle much of your email marketing with the Free plan alone. Here are the features:
- Email sequences and broadcasting
- Newsletter sending
- Landing page builder
- Facebook Ads
- Video marketing
- Reporting dashboard
- Social suite
- Email template builder
- Web pop-ups
- Embedded forms
- Predictive lead scoring and segmentation
The Basic plan starts at $7.79 a month with 10,000 branded emails and 10,000 contacts. If you want to send 20,000 branded emails a month to 20,000 contacts, you need the Growth plan at $14.99 a month.
The most encompassing plan, the Pro plan, lets you send 30,000 branded emails to 30,000 contacts for $29.99 a month. Here are some of the exclusive features of the Pro plan:
- Role management
- Custom reporting
- Landing page custom domains
- Web analytics
- Email delivery based on time zones
- A/B testing for landing pages and email broadcasting
- Landing page custom coding
- Automation and workflow nodes
- Site messaging
- Marketing automation
Like AWeber, EngageBay offers a free demo to sample its many exemplary marketing services. It’s definitely worth a download!
ConvertKit’s Top Features
Another on our list of AWeber alternatives is ConvertKit, an email service provider that caters to an audience of “online creators.” That expands its users outside of solely marketers and salespeople, but business owners, startups, and more.
Here is an overview of some of ConvertKit’s most comparable features to AWeber:
- Email automation: Automate your emails with ConvertKit’s funnels, where you choose the rules and then the automation does the rest.
- Customized audience segmenting: The ConvertKit filtering system lets you separate your audience segments your way.
- Landing page and email designer with templates: Browse through ConvertKit’s many templates for landing pages and emails and then customize those templates you feel need more tweaking.
- Email sign-up forms: Take your sign-up forms further with lead magnet delivery, custom fields and designs, templates, and an unlimited number of forms.
ConvertKit prices its services into three plans: Free, Creator, and Creator Pro.
The Free plan is always $0, giving you access to these features:
- 1,000 subscribers
- Subscriber tagging
- Email broadcasting
- Customizable ConvertKit domain
- Unlimited traffic
- Unlimited forms and landing pages
The Creator plan includes the following features:
- More than 1,000 subscribers
- Premium support
- Automated email sequences and funnels
- Tagging for subscribers
- Advanced email broadcasting
Depending on how many contacts your small business or startup has, the Creator plan pricing differs. Here’s an overview:
- 1,000 contacts – $29 a month
- 3,000 contacts – $49 a month
- 5,000 contacts – $79 a month
- 10,000 contacts – $119 a month
- 15,000 contacts – $149 a month
- 20,000 contacts- $179 a month
- 35,000 contacts – $259 a month
- 45,000 contacts – $319 a month
- 55,000 contacts – $379 a month
The Creator plan pricing goes all the way up to 90,000 contacts, in which you’d pay $3,999 a month.
The third plan, the Creator Pro plan, includes everything offered by ConvertKit. Here are some of the standout features:
- Priority support
- Newsletter referrals
- Subscriber engagement scoring
- Email broadcast redirect links
- Team invitations
- Deliverability reporting
- Facebook custom audiences
Here’s the breakdown of the Creator Pro prices per the size of your contact list:
- 1,000 contacts – $59 a month
- 3,000 contacts – $79 a month
- 5,000 contacts- $111 a month
- 10,000 contacts – $167 a month
- 15,000 contacts – $209 a month
- 20,000 contacts – $251 a month
- 35,000 contacts – $363 a month
- 45,000 contacts – $447 a month
- 55,000 contacts – $519 a month
At 9,000 contacts, you’d pay $4,299 a month for ConvertKit’s Creator Pro plan.
Our third AWeber alternative to consider is GetResponse. This marketing platform is intended for those who want to run primarily online-based campaigns. The company has provided its services for more than two decades.
GetResponse’s Top Features
Here are a handful of GetResponse’s email marketing services:
- A/B testing: Compare email subject lines with A/B testing to see which email might perform better among your audience segment.
- Email personalization: Though custom dynamic content, you can adjust your email language, CTA, and images using smart HTML features.
- Email builder: GetResponse offers many templates with more than 5,000 Shutterstock images, all licensed for your use.
- Automation: Automate more of your marketing workflow with features like automated blog digests, automated email sending, and autoresponders.
- Advanced analytics: Track the success of your email campaigns, including email bounces, clicks, and open rates. You can also view GetResponse’s analytics on mobile devices.
- Integrations: GetResponse integrates with lots of the same tools as AWeber. These include Facebook, PayPal, WordPress, Instagram, Stripe, WooCommerce, and Shopify.
GetResponse has four pricing plans, much like EngageBay. Their plans are a little more expensive though. Your options are the Basic, Plus, Professional, and Max plans.
The Basic plan includes these features:
- Facebook Ads
- Unlimited lead funnels
- One sales funnel
- Unlimited automation templates and landing pages
The Basic plan starts at $15 a month with 1,000 subscribers. Here’s how the Basic plan increases on a sliding scale as your number of contacts goes up:
- 2,500 contacts – $25 a month
- 5,000 contacts – $45 a month
- 10,000 contacts – $65 a month
- 25,000 contacts – $145 a month
- 50,000 contacts – $250 a month
- 100,000 contacts – $450 a month
The Plus plan starts at $49 a month at 1,000 contacts and the Professional plan is $99 a month for that same number of contacts.
The Max plan has customized pricing. You also can use every GetResponse feature with this plan, including the following:
- 5,000 stock images for templates, 40 funnel templates, 700 web form templates, 180 landing page templates, and 220 email templates
- Social Ads Creator with Instagram Ads and Facebook Ads support
- Automation builder
- Contact scoring
- Custom workflows
- Abandoned order recovery
- Contact tagging
- Drip campaigns
- Automated birthday emails, thank-you emails, and welcome emails
- Surveys and web forms
- Email inbox previews and A/B testing
- Custom DKIM
- Perfect timing and time travel email features
- Visual email editor
- Autoresponders and newsletters
Before committing to GetResponse, you can always download their free trial.
The fourth alternative to AWeber we want to talk about is Sendinblue. This digital marketing tool suite includes services like CRM, Facebook Chat, SMS, and email. It’s the latter that we’ll focus on.
Sendinblue’s Top Features
The following Sendinblue features are most on-par with AWeber:
- Landing pages and sign-up forms: Customize the creation of both landing pages and sign-up forms so they feel more personalized to your audience segments.
- Marketing automation: Automate email sending, audience segmentation, and other parts of your workflow to save more time.
- Advanced analytics: An email heat map boosts engagement while real-time stats and KPIs like open and click-through rates paint a full picture of your campaign success.
- Integrations: Sendinblue uses plugins and API for their many integrations.
You can also select from one of four plans if you’re thinking about trying Sendinblue. These are the Free, Lite, Premium, and Enterprise plans.
The Free plan is $0 and includes these features:
- 300 emails a day
- Unlimited contacts
- Email support
- Real-time reporting
- Page tracking
- Workflow editor for marketing automation
- SMS emails and transactional emails
- Custom sign-up forms
- Advanced segmentation
- SMS and email personalization
- Email templates
- Email designer
The Lite plan starts at $25 a month to send 100,000 emails. The Premium plan, which Sendinblue recommends for marketing pros, costs $65 a month to send 1 million emails.
If you’re interested in the Enterprise plan, it’s custom-priced. Here are the features you’d get with this plan:
- Advanced email analytics
- Heat map reporting
- Unlimited landing pages
- Send time optimization
- No Sendinblue logo
- A/B testing
AWeber is a comprehensive email marketing platform, but it’s far from the only one out there. If you’re looking for an option that lets you add more contacts without a huge monthly fee, that’s EngageBay.
EngageBay offers many services that you’d find in AWeber, as well as those you don’t. Those include EngageBay’s Video Marketing Templates, which let you engage with your audience through a very popular medium today – video.
Since their services are made for startups and small businesses like yours, EngageBay’s free plan has no strings attached. You can use those features free for life if that’s what your business needs. When you grow, EngageBay’s monthly plans continue to be affordable.
EngageBay is definitely the email marketing platform to choose if you want a solid AWeber alternative! Once you try EngageBay, we’re sure you’ll agree.